Sunday, October 30, 2016

Chatelaine • May 1960 Illustration

In addition to doing illustration work for major textbook publishers in Canada and the Star Weekly, Toronto, Doug also did freelance work for Chatelaine, published in Canada since March 1928.

His first full-page color cartoon was published in the September 1964 issue of Playboy.  Doug explains, "On a visit to Chicago in the early 1960s, I brought along some of my published magazine illustrations and was able to arrange a meeting with a Playboy editor.  I had hopes of doing some illustrating for the magazine; instead, the editor suggested that I consider doing cartoons for them.  I told him I didn't think it was my cup of tea.  However, when he told me what Playboy paid for cartoons, I quickly developed a different taste in tea."



(blog entries by Heidi Hutson)

No comments: