Sunday, July 17, 2016

1972 Playboy Press Paperback of Cartoons - How I Spent My Summer Vacation

In addition to Doug's full-page color cartoons appearing in Playboy magazine, a number were also selected for reproduction in Playboy Press 4 x 7 paperback collections from the early 1970s.  The paperbacks, which were typically 128 pages, featured B&W cartoons.


"The undertow is terrific!" was published on p. 47 of How I Spent My Summer Vacation.


The full-page color cartoon was first published on p. 233 in the September 1968 issue.


The back cover of How I Spent My Summer Vacation featured another of Doug's full-page color Playboy cartoons - published on p. 115 in the June 1965 issue.

It was also reproduced in The Art of Doug Sneyd on p. 66.  The 248-page hardcover book was published by Dark Horse Books in July 2011 and nominated in 2012 for an Eisner Award in the Best Humor Publication category.


To see more of Doug's Playboy originals, preliminary pencil and color roughs and original artwork, visit the Doug Sneyd Premium Gallery at:


(blog entries by Heidi Hutson)

No comments: